Skip to main content

Tribute Poem

I know I promised a moment-by-moment of Mahagony & Jive's show, but anything above "outstanding" is truly saying too much. The venue was a chic, and still cozy. The crowd was lively, and still fertile. The hosts were skilled, and still raw (what?! with the peanut butter & jelly sandwiches?!?!). The show was well done, well attended and much-appreciated.

The lineup included myself, Christa Bell (Seattle), Bassey Ipke (NYC) & Queen Sheba (Atlanta). I carry a great deal of respect for all three of these performers; so it was an honor to share the mic with them:

One of Those Tribute Poems
This is my first
Official
Ride-your-jock
Poem
I’ve heard plenty of poetry
with well-crafted lines
to stutter my breathing
and collide my palms
into spasmatic applause
but I’ve always found
tribute poems to be crude
flat & simple
still

beautiful
well-written
powerful
seductuctive, even
but I vowed to never write one

And then
her signature bit me
with a whip
dipped in some poison
called
divinity
I don’t dare say her name
In case
Some lunatic decides to pitch a tent

in her mama’s yard
And y’all

start thinking it's
gonna be easy to make me leave

Lyrics spun
above rarefied air
a craft
Supervised by witches

and angels high on hallelujah
Witnessing her inisight
spring to life
behind microphones
brakes the world at her heels
all else
are whispers of lives held

yet
forgotten
it will be there

that life
but I’ve got to hear this again
and again

and again

After the 4th time
I’m embarrassed
I’ve been sprung by a poet
First time for everything
And I want her
I want to hold words on my tongue
Like her
Openly love the high notes of my own scripture
Like her
Love my verbal imperfections
like fleeing open my robe before bedding a lover
with breasts less
Like ripe fruit
But engorged with sweetness
Just the same
I want my pages to be decidedly alive
Like hers
Give myself permission to
Stamp my stories onto daylight
Balance my purpose
On slender, chipped edges

of No. 2 and clotted inkwells

I am alive
With my language
And celebrate it by accident
And wisely
So I must allow myself
To applaud a phenomenon
Whenever it cyclones nearby
Let fly into the storm clouds
broken houses
Beachfronts, stadiums
And egos
Giving respect
To inspiration
Elemental in its beauty
Her words were honest
crude
simple
beautiful
well-written
powerful
seductive, even
and I could tell
that she kept her
words tied around her waist
And tucked between her breathing
Leaning on a sheer netting of glorious language
Just
Like me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.