Skip to main content

Nothing promised

When I'm not scribbling lines of poetry on Q'doba receipts or dialogue quips on my daughter's homework (hey ... Yale will not be asking for copies of her worksheet on words that start with "th"), I'm pretending to be a marketing consultant.

Actually, I'm pretty good at what I do (I'm allowed to say that, right?) I only say "pretending" because I'm one of those people who always thinks they could and should be better, especially since I started working independently 6 yrs ago. I used to recoil from the [whisper] overachiever label ... but I used to think I'd be a Size 10 again, too. Right. Get over it.

Anyhoo, I was hired to plan a 99th birthday gala for the first African-American woman to become a licensed mortician in the State of Wisconsin (I know). But, this sista was smooth, you hear me?! She's still vibrant and eloquent and graceful and warm and funny, simply amazing. I put together a photo montage for the reception and dinner, and it was uncanny fingering her life. Pictures of her as a child, her grandparents, friends posed in front of Studebakers, husbands wearing wingtips, children sporting curls, flips, hi-top fades. Black-and-white, faded colormatics, full color newspaper images. She has admirably lived a rich and honest life.

Earlier this week, one of the gala guests tells me that someone who did not attend said, "I just didn't understand why they didn't wait until her 100th birthday. I'll be sure to come next year."

Are you serious?

99 years of living is a blessing all by itself. So is four months. So why do we take the obviously-unpromised things for granted?

Well, before I get too high on my horse: I'm guilty, too. Two young boys have been missing in our community for almost a week now. Volunteers combing the park grounds. Police netting the rivers. Mothers making tear-steeped pleas on the news. The whole tragic nine yards. They were 10 & 12, I think, and good kids -- great in school, active with youth groups, well-liked, from loving families, (for "some reason," that has mattered). These two friends were last seen playing at a basketball court near their home.

Last seen?

I constantly have to remind myself that evil people are out there ... just walking around. In the grocery store, at the movies, in parking lots, near basketball courts, and somewhere on my block. My husband lectures and scolds me all the time about dangers that "could" happen. In my mind, I've always tempered his warnings with background music provided by Donny & Marie, with the new lyrics "He's a little bit paranoid ..."

Well, once again, he's right. "Could" happens everyday. A pretty juvenile statement to make at 36, I know. But, sadly, it's an epiphany I'll arrive at over and again throughout my life. I

I can only pray that it won't ever come behind a newswire story.

Please pray for the safe return of these babies.

Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Virginia-Parker and were last seen on March 19, 2006 at approximately 3:30 p.m. playing basketball. They have not been seen since. Purvis was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and gray jogging suit. He may go by the last name Virginia. Quadrevion was last seen wearing a white jacket with blue stripes on the sleeves, black oversize tshirt over a white tshirt, and black jeans. He was also wearing red, white, and blue shoes. If you have any information regarding these children call the Milwaukee Police at 414-935-7401

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have been guilty of not celebrating life as much myself so I am with you when feeling the grief when I'm constantly bombarded with news flashes of these little boys. What makes it worse is that they were on their way to the park right up the street from my home. To this day my children aren't allowed to go outside unless they are right out front of my house and I can see and hear them the entire time!

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.