Skip to main content

Kissing Jimi's Sky

I was born in 1969. Around the time I was finally sleeping through the night, Jimi Hendrix was resigning to a darkness of his own. He died the following fall at the age of 27, when I was one month shy of turning one. Had I been an older girl, wide-eyed with the turbulence and fireworks of the times, I might have easily joined the pilgrimage of women yearning to stretch themselves and their lives naked beneath his musician’s trance.

By the universe’s exquisite design, I was not yet capable of rolling onto my back.

I’ve held barely a thumbprint of Jimi Hendrix’s story until recently (another reason why we should vote for Netflix in 2016). I was enthralled by his lifelong romance with music, to learn he was never ever without his guitar, by the enormous chunks of obsessed practice hours and simmering stock of chitlin circuit years that brewed the ingredients of his genius, by the divine precision of daring to reach up and seize his star just as one was whizzing above his head.

Even without the prequel, Jimi has long held court in the pantheon of culture icons. Jimi. Nat. James. Marilyn. Knowable only through archives, their two-dimensional allure still arresting. Their images imbued with the elusive tease of "mystique," their names delicious with "legend." Our courtships with today's stars are far less satisfying. Most leave nothing to chance in affixing themselves to our clouds. Too many leave us without wonderment, distract us with transparent engineering instead of blowing our minds with the rawness of their signature ingenuity.

I appreciated hearing Jimi's narrative told without the standard emphasis on his foils and subsequent demise. His life has always been encapsulated in my consciousness with posters, news reels and graphic tees. I devour his story with TMZ-inspired ravenousness. 

Had I discovered such a colorful and sumptuous bird as Jimi against that technicolor landscape of sameness and change, I might've found myself gasping for the rarefied, counter-culture air that filled his narrow chest. I could’ve allowed my ambitions for this world to be seduced by the perfect storm of his single-minded genius, by the salvation that was his guitar, by his sensual reverence for music.  Scenes from the rock opera Tommy come to mind as I watch the documentary footage and picture myself as one of Jimi's willing concubines, determined to stoke his comforts, protect the gentle spirit encased by his fame, eager for Jimi to play his scales.

Had I been of hitchhiking age, I would've found my way to him. At least … I think so.  I mean, I can only go by the black-and-white snapshots of the fresh faced girls draped languidly across his limelight. Their bodies lithe, lids heavy and eyes glistening, but all of them grinning at Jimi. In their interviews now, as seasoned women, I can hear the gentle gurgle of time smoothing the jagged stones of frenetic nights, stark and lonely afternoons, and the ripping ache of negotiated affections. Still, Jimi glowed worthy, transforming their efficient dismissal to martyred devotion.

Jimi Hendrix was destined long before he was due. For at least half a dozen reasons, I needed to hear the other half of his tale right now. Celebrate his journey right now.  I lay myself, shamelessly naked, at his feet right. now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.