Skip to main content

Pfister: "People Watching"


People Watching


Dasha Kelly Pfister NarratorI feel enchanted tonight.  Maybe it’s the night air, the saucy décor of Blu, the nighttime glitter of city lights or, maybe, it’s my first Narrator assignment.  Yes, let’s go with that last one.
Excited, I take a seat at the bar and begin to survey the room.  This, I’m good at.  I wouldn’t  say that I’m a voyeur, but I’ve always insisted that people watching should be an Olympic sport.  I order my standard whiskey on the rocks, and observe.
Near the window, a cluster of women have landed on a topic that pulls them toward one another, gesturing passionately as they talk.  Behind them,  a lively team of conference attendees are chattering when, much to the group’s delight, a dark-haired man stands to add elbow antics to the discussion.  Neither of these groups need their rhythms interrupted by me.  Not now.
An attractive, mature woman enters the lounge with a  tall, sturdy man following closely behind.  Like popping corn, my mind springs with questions as I watch them cross the dark room to the cozy seats near the fireplace.  Settling into opposite corners of the love seat, I notice that his banter sounds measured, her laugh feels polite, and both their smiles seemed anxious.  Aha. First date jitters.  They don’t need me in the way.
Between my first sip of whiskey and the final clink of naked ice, I fully realize the spindly awkwardness of my charge. Striking up a conversation with another barfly is one thing, but accosting strangers and inserting myself into their evening is altogether different.  I considered leaving for the night when, one heartbeat later, a tall gentleman strides in to take one of the window seats.  I watch him as he watches the city flicker below us.
I remind myself that everyone has a story to tell –including this stranger– and I’ve been given the opportunity to share them. I take a deep breath, collect my notebook and my nerves and introduce myself.
“I’m in computers,” he says of his work, adding a string of clarifying words  like “applications,” “supply chain,” “operations.”
“Logistics?” I ask.
He gives a relieved nod and relaxes his shoulders.  His name is Andy, a Dallas native currently living in Denver. He’s in Milwaukee with his team to wrap up a project that spans several years and several cities.
“Did you have reservations about striking out on your own as a consultant instead of scouting a corporate gig?” I asked.
“Not really,” he said, after a moment. “But, sometimes, I can’t believe this is the life I get to have.”
Andy had wanted to be a pilot as a kid, like his father and, later, his brother.  In fact, Andy earned certifications, and has flown numerous times.  Still, another path chose him. He told me how he enjoys the challenge of his work, his rituals for downtime when on the road, the food districts he misses from his home city, holiday plans for Brasil with his wife, and how he’d love to retire in San Francisco.
I thank him for allowing me to intrude on his quiet time, pay for his drink and wish him safe travels home.  As I leave, I feel buoyant. Proud that I braved this assignment, pleased to put my people watching talents to work, and enchanted –all over again– by the city’s sparkling lights.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.