Skip to main content

Against Hope

Uggh. I remember this.

The fawning hours before any new coupling can take its full shape: soul mates, long-term love, short-lived flame, friends with an understanding, late night lovers, bitter enemies. Before hoisting out any such labels, an abominable spell of time must first be spent wrestling down uncertainties and second-guessing your infallible intuition (which is always, simply, “do it” or “don’t do it.”). Obviously, with no inclination of where the introductions will lead, we spend the thin, early hours wondering, overanalyzing, waiting and… hoping.

I forgot how much I hated this part.

Truth be told, I don’t think I was wise enough then to dislike the Hoping Phase. Back then, I believed that the simultaneous heady and sinking sensations I felt were the signal of budding affection.

Do it or don’t do it? Does he or doesn’t he?

I can remember how trying not to check the answering machine (yes, it’s been that long) became an extreme sport of wills. Spreading out the transcripts of mundane conversations with my girlfriends turned into a scholarly search for embedded clues and portentous markers. A touch on the elbow or glance during commercial breaks would always seem more epic in the recounting. Seem more like the adaptation we’d write, if given the opportunity.

How couldn’t I see the blatant torture in this before?

With a seasoned outlook on life and love now (and a souvenir basket full of soul aches and heartbreaks), I try to keep my dial on “don’t do it” and “he doesn’t.” For the past few years I’ve fiercely resisted the inclination to coo, creating an always-just-short-of-romantic road that’s been fairly easy to travel.

But there’s always a yummy boy standing at a fork in the road. A yummy boy with a cell phone.

Uggh.

I don’t even know if I truly like aforementioned yummy boy, I just know it’s disruptingly possible that I could. With that –completely against my will and better judgment – I find myself checking cell phone notifications with Pavlovian precision. My fingers don’t cross in hopes of true love (necessarily), just a little reassurance that I’m not out of my mind for unshackling these stomach butterflies. Vulnerable is more tolerable when you’re not wading through the muck of it alone. By the time we’re hip deep in the mire, we realize that these undefined moments can either shape themselves into a beginning or remain a gelatinous blob. In either event, we know this to be the point we’ll look back upon and confess, “I knew it.”

Do it or don’t do it.

At this stage, I’m merely hoping for another call. But that’s unnerving enough; I remember how quickly this can move. Hoping for more calls becomes hoping for more clues, becomes hoping for more time, more flirting, more surprises, more romance, more sharing, more sacrifices, more consideration, more date nights, more help with housework, more spontaneity, more understanding, more effort, more respect, more magic, more everything. Everything. How is Hope supposed to contend with Everything?

I should know better about this hoping business. In fact, I invested myself in a rather elaborate reprogramming to become much more practical and empirical about the yummy boys. I thought I had it down pat, but I’m sitting here gazing at my cell phone, hoping it will ring again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.