Skip to main content

They Will Come

I'm finally reading my magazines. Maybe I should book a flight every month, just for the captured sit-still time that flying affords. I only subscribe to three magazines, four if you count Newsweek, which used to be my favorite until they defected to a digital-only format. Mental Floss is my new favorite.  It's witty, whimsical, well-written and wickedly nerd-tastic. While soaring the skies, my eyes scan the lines of text left to right, left to right, left, left, left ... I keep my face pointed toward the magazine pages, but my eyes pull to the left and over the rim of my eyeglasses to steal a look at the woman seated beside me.

She's reading my new book.

When our flight was still grounded, I had to unseat her and her husband in order to wedge myself into my window assignment. She offered to hold my coffee after watching me try and stuff my computer bag beneath the seat in front of me. I fastened my seat belt and thanked her for keeping me from scalding myself before takeoff. We laugh and settle back into our seats. We engage in the where-why-how-long-are-you-traveling exchange after a mutual hesitation. Perhaps she didn't want to divulge too much. Or maybe, like me, she didn't want to inadvertently commit herself to an extended, flight-long banter. I had my magazines waiting, after all.

I described my work as an artist-in-residence. She explained that their vacation club had recently opened a resort in Granada. We mused over the peculiarity of Granada as a vacation destination, as both of us connected the island to a vague and distant war.

She circled back to my writing, asking what-where-how-long.  I gave her my elevator pitch about the poems. The columns. The fiction.  For two heartbeats, I deliberated whether to give her a copy of Call It Forth. Presumptuous? Off putting? Wasteful? I rationalized that the short stack wouldn't have been in my carry-on bag if hadn't needed the relief for my checked luggage to clear its weight limit. This had to be a sign from the gods of self-promotion.

"Closed mouths don't get fed. Promotion-wary authors won't get read."

She was clearly surprised to receive the gift, maybe because the book is beautiful or, maybe, because I'd turned out to be a tale-spinner who'd been telling the truth. She thanked me and opened to the very last page, my bio. I was oddly relieved for her to begin there, to begin with a footing that this stranger on  her plane has proven her words to be worthy.

She flips to the first page and I quickly turn my attention like a school girl who vanishes after delivering a love note to the cutest boy in school. I dig into my bag and dive into my magazine. In my periphery I can see that she's reading the poems first. A good sign, me thinks.

I read an article about microbial fashion; apparently, "vegetable leather" is coming our way. I learn the history of the legendary Body Farm at the University of Tennessee and how its researchers are now developing technology to discover mass burial grounds hidden in war torn nations. A new lineup of wiz kids includes a three-year-old boy with membership into Mensa and an 18-year-old who built a nuclear fusion reactor in his parents' garage.

She's still reading.

I sink into stories about underground hotels, cubicle weaponry made from office supplies, the growing use of dandelion sap as a latex replacement in rubber.

The book is closed, folded across her lap. I'm pleased by the attention she'd given so far.

I chuckle at stories about Bill Murray's odd ball pranks, that Carl Sagan's series The Cosmos will return to the airwaves with Neil deGrasse Tyson as host, and how pineapples are actually a cluster of berries!  I didn't even notice when she started reading again. I begin to move through the magazine pages of Poets & Writers.

The pilot announces our descent just I finish consuming my last magazine. My seat mate turns to say, "I enjoy the way you write. It makes me smile."

She agrees to share her email address and I agree to autograph the book. We thanked one another and, once on the tarmac, disconnected as abruptly as we'd been linked: me to a distress phone call from home and her to a connection in another terminal.

Our interaction served as an unplanned beta test for me.  As I grow more and more excited about this book project --and my life as a dedicated writer--  I'm fueled by such serendipitous built-it-and-they-will-come endorsements from the universe.

Thank you, Mrs. 17E.  I hope you and my book are having a wonderful vacation...

Comments

blogging said…
So true, sis. I've given as well as sold so many books on the road that way. Even whispered the poems into ears. Many people are surprised to sit next to a writer 'making lemonade.' It's similar to movie stars flying coach...:-) Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.