Skip to main content

Strangers

We both pull a foot back up to the curb, calculating the narrowed opportunity for dashing across the street. The oncoming cars do not lurch forward. They are not as impatient as us. I look quickly to the traffic sign, for the little LED pedestrian guy. He's flashing red. I look back to the traffic, at the headlights pulling ahead, and acquiesce.

"It's not worth it," says the woman who had gauged her traffic-defying potential beside me.

"This would be the night we slip and fall," I say, shaking my head. Cars snake across our intersection.

"That would be an awful way to go," she says.

This strikes me as funny, for some reason. "Yeah," I say. "I'm hoping to give my people a better story to tell at my funeral."

We're both peeling back the beginning of a laugh.  Her voice is chiseled, textured. The caliber you wouldn't want firing threats or reprimands.

"I read about an actress who took a bunch of pills, and they found her with her head in the toilet," she said.

"Not in the toilet," I groaned.

"I don't care what people have to say after I'm dead," she said.  "It doesn't matter if they know how I died."

"But you'll know!" I insist.

She tosses her head back to free a hearty laugh.  I've always had good luck with people who surrender to joy this way.

"I'm not used to your Midwest ways," she says after a moment, and turns to demonstrate a processed, static smile. "I'm from the east coast. When everything is wrong, you see it."

I was told once that, elsewhere, waitresses refer to customers' neat nesting of their own dirty plates as The Midwest Stack. Congeniality, we've got in the bag.

"It's a practiced survival skill," I say.

"The laugh was good," she says.  "I've been remodeling."

"One room or everything?" I ask.

The little LED pedestrian guy lights up for us and we step into the intersection. My comrade moves swiftly, clutching books and binders to her body. She stands at about five foot four, with a revolution of graying chestnut spirals bouncing against her shoulders, keeping time with her steps.

She tells me about the broken sewage pipe. The spewing. The contractors. The boxes of everything she owns. She tells me about her unexpected travel to Baltimore and back. Baltimore and back. Her mother is ill. She asks me what I thought about Philadelphia when I visited.

I tell her about the sharp contrasts of neighborhoods, the cantina we ate in with an octopus on the patio roof, the Gil Scott Heron performance, the unplanned beauty of it all.

We've walked a little more than a block before reaching the Overture. She's in the middle of telling me about online dating.  I interrupt.

"I'm heading in here," I say, wanting to hear the end.

"I am too, but it's the other door," she says.  We keep walking. She picks up the end of her Match.com story.  "So, they told me that, even if I'm telling the guy 'no thank you,' their computer adds the reply to its algorithm and sends more just like him! So, don't be too nice. That's what I learned."

It's my turn to laugh.

I tell her about my online profile. My divorce. My writing. My youth program. The show I'm attending. She's heading to the literary revision panel.  We both think of staying in touch, but pull back our feet.  So many invitations evaporate once the moment passes.  My mother calls it vacation promises; they seem real on the horseback ride along the beach but unlikely once you're back in your real life loading groceries in your trunk.

I go for it anyway, and hand her a card. I'm not in the city often, but when I am I'd enjoy a leisurely coffee and conversation with this lively woman. Our not-near-death exchange felt purposed, somehow.  Lucky.

"Oh, good!" she says. She's genuine and enthusiastic. "Email me whenever you like. I'll email you back."

Honorary Fellow, Department of Comparative Literature, University of Wisconsin.

The universe is, once again, impressive. Just last week I was advised [read: threatened] by a close friend to start scouting fellowships.  I had nodded, though I wasn't convinced I could. Or should.

Lucky, in the divine sense.

I part ways with my curbside compadre, both us wishing the other a great event.  I took to the stairs, no hesitation in my steps.  Smiling at the gift in talking to strangers.

Comments

Deaduri Gales said…
Beware of da Geechie!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Requiem for The Weedman

Requiem for The Weedman Dasha Kelly Hamilton Tony never talks to me about terps                                                                     Katie didn’t mention percentages or strains Mike doesn’t brandish a logo, but his product and customer service -- always fire Julian can’t name the co-op of growers, but the strand is described with war tools Meeting Moose is most natural in parking lots Ant delivers to the house Max is still making moves after bar time Serena can’t come through til after work Sam’s stash is personally vetted Percy doesn’t partake at all Ericka responds to texts, never calls Ed rewards loyalty with free samples and extra shake Jake is not opposed to credit Denver needs her money every time Cast our votes Decriminalize our connects Yelp our transactions Ease them to the margins of utility, of enterprise beside the bank tellers, book sellers, taxi cab drivers and market cashiers Alisha doesn’t have a sto

Hope is a Bruise

Hope is a Bruise Dasha Kelly Hamilton Paintball pellets batter shoulders and thighs at 190 miles per hour I count the purplish bruises and smile at the post vision of us toasting laughing, being vibrantly alive The woman who pierced my nose Rushed outside afterwards for a cigarette Whether my nostril or her nerves were to blame We both survived an ordeal that day I don’t think of the sweat on her lip  or the tears on my cheek when my jeweled  Black nose disrupts canonical spaces Agony delineates child bearing from child rearing Pain is the anticipated toll: the impossible stretch of skin and orifice, wrenching of organs, the pinch and nip of nursing I received no pamphlets about the pangs of panic and impotence The deep marrow rupture when their ache explodes beyond your reach A formation of police fired rubber bullets at my child 200 feet per second in defense of hatred and spiteful ignorance She raged back in protest until her throat ras

Tiger Pause

At eleven, my daughter's fears were getting mauled by a tiger, injured a car crash and being a victim of rape. We talked a lot over the years about sex, sexuality and patriarchy, music lyrics and power, media, shame and the law, discretion, integrity and the whispered fragility of boys. At sixteen, I rocked her as she wept. Her slender shoulders were violent from crying. One of her friends had been raped. Months ago, but was only beginning to share. Months ago, when she started losing weight, stopped hanging out before pre-calc, and kept exhaustion shadowed beneath her makeup contours. We sat crouched on the stairs leading up to my room. She'd called out my name from the dark hall. Her voice, normally expectant and full, had been small and reaching. I peeled away from my husband to find her on the landing, shaking. My daughter felt helpless and hurt that her friend had gone through so much all alone. That she didn't know. Couldn't have known. That it was so unfair.